Main | Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quote Of The Day - Pastor Jeff Owens

"If you are responding to a sermon that I preached about gays I would like to render the following apology. Nearly 15 years ago I preached a sermon that promoted physically hurting gay people. I was young, stupid and immature. I didn’t even hold to the belief of hurting people when I wrongly made those comments. I regret those words and have asked God to forgive me for them. I am not a believer in the gay life-style but I was profoundly wrong in making any comments about hurting people. If I could retract those words I certainly would.

"I wrongly represented both God and myself. I truly believe that God is a God of LOVE. I believe he loves the whole world even when people in the world do things that are wrong; Such as my wrong representation of how to treat someone who does not believe the same way I do. I no longer preach like that and I purposely teach and train others to preach and behave properly as well. The hurtful words in that sermon tape were erased many years ago and somehow have resurfaced much to my disappointment and embarrassment. I realize I have disappointed many who have heard those words in that sermon. May I include my disappointment in myself. Once again, I offer my humble apology." - Pastor Jeff Owens, in a message posted on the site of the Shenandoah Baptist Church.

I'll just note that the message is on the church's "contact" page, not their main page, and one must go through the below button to read it. In other words, it seems like this apology is meant to be seen by homos that are looking for the church's phone number. And not by the church's members. Owens did post an audio apology as well, however.

UPDATE: The apology has been posted to YouTube.

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home