Main | Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Dubya's "Gay" Hypocrisy

In his new memoir, Bush II recounts how Dick Cheney warned him that his daughter Mary was gay, just in case that was a deal-breaker for being chosen as a running mate.
By the time Dick came to the ranch to deliver his final report, I had decided to make another run at him. As he finished his briefing, I said, "Dick, you are the perfect running mate." While I had dropped hints before, he could tell I was serious this time. Finally, he said, "I need to talk to Lynne." I took that as a promising sign. He told me that he had had three heart attacks and that he and Lynne were happy with their life in Dallas. Then he said, "Mary is gay." I could tell what he meant by the way he said it. Dick clearly loved his daughter. I felt he was gauging my tolerance. "If you have a problem with this, I'm not your man," he was essentially saying. I smiled at him and said, "Dick, take your time. Please talk to Lynne. And I could not care less about Mary's orientation."
Justin Elliott notes at Salon: "Bush of course went on to select Cheney as his running mate, and then repeatedly used his opposition to gay rights to galvanize the Republican base." And Mary Cheney, of course, went to become just another super-rich quisling homcon who worked for the elections of numerous other anti-gay candidates.

Labels: , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home