Main | Thursday, September 13, 2007

Open Thread Thursday

From an IM exchange earlier this week....

BlogPal: Dammit, I just can't get fucked in this city. New York is a town of bottoms.
JMG: Oh honey, I've heard that everywhere I've ever lived.
BP: Well, in NYC's case, it's TRUE.
JMG: OK. Assuming you're right, what is it about NYC that draws all the bottoms here? And for that matter, there must be a place that draws all the tops? What town is that?
BP: You tell ME and I'll move there!

Without getting into the psychobabble of why people consider themselves tops or bottoms (that's fodder for another post, surely), what's the deal with the phenomenon of BlogPal's lament, which is surely repeated in every city worldwide? Some folks theorize that those in the creative arts, who might be more drawn to a city like New York, tend to be bottoms. And why is there some presumption that an even balance of tops and bottoms exists in the first place? My unscientific, purely anecdotal field research lends me to think that the ratio is about 1-3.

Labels:

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home