Main | Monday, November 19, 2007

Catching Up With The Joneses

A new analysis of the last U.S. census reveals that for the first time, two Hispanic surnames are among the ten most common last names in the country. I can't embed it here, but in the linked story there's a neat scrollable graphic of the 5000 most common last names.

The new top ten:

1. Smith
2. Johnson
3. Williams
4. Brown
5. Jones
6. Miller
7. Davis
8. Garcia
9. Rodriquez
10. Wilson

Also new to the top twenty: Hernandez at #11, Martinez at #15. The Hispanic population of the United States grew by 58% in the '90s and now comprises 13% of the nation. Lee, a surname shared by both whites and Asians (and the most common surname in the world), is #22 in the U.S. My own last name doesn't appear on the list as there are only about 600 of us in the country. I've never met somebody with my last name that I wasn't related to.

Labels: ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home