Main | Thursday, October 02, 2008

Bill Clinton Stumps For Obama At UCF


Yesterday Bill Clinton campaigned for Obama in Orlando at my alma mater, the University of Central Florida. "Hillary sent me!" More from his speech:
Here's why you ought to be for Barack Obama. Number one, he's got the right philosophy. He knows you have to grow an economy from the ground up, not from the top down. Number two, he's got better answers. Better answers for the economy, for energy, for health care, for education. He knows what it will take to get this country back on track.

I have carefully read everything these candidates put out. And I'm telling you it matters. Because the history is this, notwithstanding what people think about us politicians, the truth is virtually every person elected as president does his, and someday I hope her, very best to keep the commitments made in the campaign. And you need to know what they stand for. Obama's answers are better.

Number three, he's got better understanding, better advisers, and better instincts on this economic stuff. All of us who've been involved in this have been in a very harrowing period these last few days as you know. When all this happened, it was a matter that was unprecedented in the lifetimes of the people who were dealing with it. What did Barack Obama do? First of all he got his advisers on the phone, then he called all mine, then he callled some more. And you know what he said? 'Tell me what the problem is and how to fix it. Don't tell me what the politics are. Let's do the right thing and we'll sell it to America."
People are always accusing Bill Clinton of damning Obama with faint praise, but this speech seemed right on the mark to me.

UNRELATED: Next year UCF is expected to pass Ohio State to become the largest (by enrollment) university in the country. And to think when I went there our homecoming opponent was Fort Lauderdale Art College. I kid, I kid.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home