Main | Monday, November 10, 2008

Gonna Dress You Up In Mylar

Last night my buddy Leif Wauters (below right, with the silver claw) took me to Oakland for a giant sci-fi themed 40th birthday party for local bear Noel Casale, pictured here showing his expired Logan's Run light. The party was held at Bench And Bar, a cavernous gay Latino club which was wall-to-wall mylar and tin-foil adorned bears. Crazy, fun, drunken madness and some well-needed relief from the Prop 8 debacle which has so consumed the city.

DJ Rotten Robbie spun a great set of tunes to match the theme (Bowie's Space Oddity, Peter Schilling's Major Tom) and local glam/electro act Ejector performed a cool retro-ish set of electronica. (That's Ejector lead singer Ben Holder in the "Noel" shirt.)

I ran into tons of old friends and some JMG readers, but no shoutouts are available thanks to the open bar. (Ow, ow, ow my head.) That's me in the tin-foil hat with my old pal Stephen Roberts. Such a silly night.

It was a bit surprising to see so much of SF's bear crowd exported to the East Bay, the Lone Star must have been a ghost town. By the way, the title of this post is courtesy of my friend Ken, who swore that Madonna was singing "Gonna dress you up in mylar." Yes, Ken, all these years later and I will still bring that up.

Labels: , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home