Main | Monday, April 20, 2009

Former NJ Gov. Whitman Calls For GOP To Stop Opposing Marriage Equality

Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey, is calling for the GOP to remove the traditional marriage plank from its national platform. Speaking at the Log Cabin convention, she also came out against DADT and DOMA.
The government should have no say about marriage, and the plank in the Republican Party platform that calls for preserving marriage between a man and a woman should be scrapped, former New Jersey Gov. Christine Todd Whitman (R) told CNSNews.com. Furthermore, the U.S. military should not differentiate between homosexuals and heterosexuals, said Whitman. The former governor spoke Friday at the Log Cabin Republicans’ (LCR) 2009 convention and symposium in Washington, D.C.

“Well, I am somebody who believes in the separation of church and state and that the government, frankly, ought to be out of the business of marriage entirely,” Whitman told CNSNews.com after her speech. “It ought to be everybody – heterosexual, homosexual. When you go down and register to get married, that’s when the legal transfer of everything occurs and that’s a legal recognition of a relationship – and if you want to get married in a church, a temple, whatever, and you find one, great!” she said. “Civil marriage, everybody,” said Whitman. “I am not against marriage for gay couples. I just think it would make the issue easier if it was civil marriage for everybody. And I am not against – I mean, it’s [same-sex marriage] not going to threaten my marriage. I mean my 35th anniversary is on Monday. It’s not going to threaten my marriage to have a gay couple married.”
Whitman's best line: "I am not saying to Christian conservatives, ‘There is no place for you,’ I am saying, ‘Please stop saying there is no place for us.’"

Freepers react
:
-"Thanks RINO bitch....now leave and go join the ‘Rats where you belong."
-"She’s a ‘Tranny”, right?"
-"We should kick this whore for satan out of the party... along with any other GODless minions for satan."

Labels: , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home