Main | Thursday, September 03, 2009

80's Flashback

Pet Shop Boys, Domino Dancing, 1988. Last night at NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom, Pet Shop Boys wove this, their lone foray into freestyle, into a fantastic medley capped by a surprisingly wonderful cover of Coldplay's Viva La Vida. (Please PSB, put that out commercially.) Domino Dancing was produced by the then-red hot Miami freestyle king Lewis Martinee, who gave us Expose' and Cover Girls. I hated freestyle at the time as it was on 24/7 if you lived in South Florida, but forgave PSB as just about everybody was jumping on the Miami sound back then. (Plus the EP/mini-album Domino Dancing came from, Introspective, also gave us Left To My Own Devices and Always On My Mind.) Somehow, now that I dig freestyle again (mostly the oldies), Domino Dancing is one of my PSB faves. TRIVIA: Domino Dancing broke a long streak of UK #1's for the Boys, landing at #7 there, #18 here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home