Main | Wednesday, November 11, 2009

HomoQuotable - Lee Daniels

"Precious is really not a black story. I told it originally for a black audience, and I'm a black, gay filmmaker. So I told it with a gay sensibility, and I gave a black sensibility to it, because I'm African-American. But I think it's a universal story, and it goes beyond sex and/or culture to be universal.

"I met this lady who was 60 or 70 years old and attending the Sundance Film Festival, and the day after our first screening, she started sobbing in my arms. It was the most beautiful moment in all of this for me. I realized that it didn't matter if you were gay, black or from Philadelphia. This woman, who could barely speak my language, had embraced the moment and understood Precious." - Director Lee Daniels, whose film Precious shattered box office records for a limited release last weekend when it opened on 18 screens. The most Oscar-hyped film of the season, Precious opens nationwide on November 20th.

(I know I should see it, but it looks soooo depressing.)

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home