Main | Tuesday, December 14, 2010

HomoQuotable - Lt. Dan Choi

"I did not initially want to publicize this but I now realize it is critical for our community to know several things: veterans gay or straight carry human burdens, Activists share similar burdens, no activist should be portrayed as super human, and the failures of government and national lobbying carry consequences far beyond the careers and reputations of corporate leaders, elected officials, High powered lobbyists, or political elites. They ruin lives.

"My breakdown was a result of a cumulative array of stressors but there is no doubt that the composite betrayals felt on Thursday, by elected leaders and gay organizations as well as many who have exploited my name for their marketing purposes have added to the result. I am certain my experience is not an isolated incident within the gay veteran community." - Lt. Dan Choi, revealing that he has been involuntarily committed to a Veterans Administration mental hospital.

Please join me in wishing Dan a speedy recovery.

UPDATE: Pam's House Blend contributor Autumn Sandeen clarifies in the comments that Choi sought help voluntarily, but was committed involuntarily.

(Via - Pam Spaulding)

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home