Main | Monday, May 09, 2011

Quote Of The Day - Barbra Streisand

"I’ve endured Larry Kramer’s outbursts in the past, not wishing to dignify them with a response. But at a time when we are all pulling together to achieve such giant steps toward gay equality, it is anguishing to me to have my devotion to this cause so distorted. I think my efforts for the gay community and my immersion in securing its constitutional entitlement and other equitable rights is quite evident and a matter of record. [snip]

"I think it’s unfair to blame me for the movie [The Normal Heart] not getting made. After all, Larry has had the rights for the last 15 years and he couldn’t get it made, either. Those are the facts, and none of this is news to Larry. More recently, he sent me a note before giving the project to another director, asking me again if I wanted to direct it—but only with his screenplay. As a filmmaker, I couldn’t have my hands tied like that. What if I needed to make changes? What if I needed to have something rewritten? Sadly, I turned his offer down and wished him well. It’s been very hard for me to find a piece that I feel as passionate about. I will always believe in Larry’s play and its powerful theme about everyone’s right to love." - Barbara Streisand, responding to Larry Kramer's claim that she wanted to to rewrite the movie to make the doctor character (to be played by Babs) the real star.

Full Streisand's full response on her website.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home