Main | Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Upstate NY Town Clerk: Jeebus Won't Let Me Issue Homo Marriage Licenses

Aaaand here come the pious town clerks.
Barbara MacEwen, the town clerk in upstate Volney who is responsible for signing marriage licenses in the town, said she’s morally opposed to same-sex weddings and does not intend to affix her signature to any marriage documents for gay or lesbian couples. “If there’s any possible way to not do it, legally, then yes, I would not want to put my name on any of those certificates or papers,” MacEwen told POLITICO. “That’s their life, they can do it, but I don’t feel I should be forced into something that’s against my morals and my God.” MacEwen said she’s written her state senator – Republican Patty Ritchie, who voted against legalizing gay weddings – to determine her legal options.
MacEwen, 75, is up for reelection this fall. Hopefully she'll have been fired long before then.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home