Main | Friday, April 13, 2012

Mayor, LGBT Ally, Firefighting Hero

Not only is Newark Mayor Cory Booker an outspoken ally in the battle for LGBT equality, he's now being hailed as a firefighting hero.
Booker arrived home last night to discover his next-door neighbor's house on fire, and rescued a young woman trapped upstairs by carrying her through the flames, suffering second-degree burns in the process. The mayor's security team discovered the fire and pounded on the door to alert residents, when an elderly woman said that her daughter was trapped upstairs. At first Rodriguez would not let Booker into the burning house. "He basically told me, 'This woman is going to die if we don't help her,' and what can I say to that?," Rodriguez said. "I let him go and without thinking twice, he just ran into the flames and rescued this young lady." Booker said that as he jumped through the kitchen on the second floor, "I actually wasn't thinking. When I got there and couldn't find her in all the smoke, looked behind me and saw the kitchen really erupting with flames all over the ceiling, that's when I had very clear thoughts that I'm not going to get out of this place alive and got ... very religious.
Booker issued a nonchalant tweet from his own ambulance.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home