Main | Friday, June 15, 2012

MICHIGAN: Democrat Silenced For Saying "Vagina" During Abortion Debate

Michigan GOP leaders banned Rep. Lisa Brown from speaking on state House floor after she used the word "vagina" during a response to a pending bill to restrict abortions.
"What she said was offensive," state Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville, told The Detroit News. "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company," he said. State Rep. Lisa Lyons, R-Alto, agreed. "As a woman and mother, I was personally offended by Rep. Lisa Brown's disgraceful actions during Wednesday's floor debate," she said. Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, said the decision to bar Brown from speaking was not her reference to the female anatomy, but her conduct. "My concern was the decorum of the House, not of anything she said," Stamas told the newspaper. "I ask all members to maintain a decorum of the House, and I felt it went too far yesterday." But Brown yesterday defended her decision to use the 'v-word'. "If I can't say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?" Brown said during a Capitol press conference. "What language should I use? We're all adults here."

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home