Main | Wednesday, March 06, 2013

WA Florist Refuses Gay Wedding

A Washington state florist has refused to provide a gay couple with flowers for their wedding after nine years of selling to them.
It was a very exciting moment, probably one of the happiest days of my life," said Rob Ingersoll of his engagement to his partner of nine years, Curt. So when it was time to make preparations for their September 19th, Rob wanted to go with the florist he and Curt have been using for years, Barronelle Stuzman, the owner of Arelene's Flowers in Richland. However, when he asked her, Stuzman politely declined. "And I just took his hands and I said I'm sorry I can't do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ," said Stuzman who believes marriage should be between one man and one woman.
Since long before the legalization of same-sex marriage, it has been against the law in Washington state to refuse business on the basis of sexual orientation. The florist claims she is now the target of death threats. And another martyr is born. (Tipped by JMG reader Nick)

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home