Main | Wednesday, June 19, 2013

BRITAIN: Queen Elizabeth Awards MBE To Leader Of LGBT Chorus Charity

A London gay man has been named to this year's list of Queen Elizabeth's birthday honors for his work with LGBT choruses.
Martin Brophy, of Muswell Avenue, Muswell Hill, was awarded an MBE for services to music by promoting singing among the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. The 59-year-old does this through his role as the executive chairman of the charity Fruitvox and is a longstanding member of the London Gay Men’s Chorus. He said: “The first thing I thought when I received the letter for the prime minister is - what do people wear to these things? “I didn’t really believe it and I thought it was a joke because it was a very plain letter but then I looked online and found out it was real. I didn’t start volunteering because I wanted to win an MBE I did it because I wanted to make a difference and winning it is just a bonus.”
Brophy will visit Buckingham Palace to receive his medal from the Queen.

RELATED: I met Martin at the Colherne in Earls Court during a 1991 trip to London. Six of us had flown in from Miami to see Miss Saigon before it opened on Broadway. (I know.) I didn't have much interest in seeing the show, but tagged along because I'd never been to Britain. Our group hit it off with Martin and his partner and they gave us some great pointers for our visit. Since then I've run  into him at bear things here and there. Congratulations, Martin!

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home