Main | Monday, August 26, 2013

Australian Olympic Hopeful Comes Out

Australian snowboarder Belle Brockhoff, 20, who hopes to compete at the Sochi Olympics, has come out, but is worried about being open at the Games.
"I have a feeling that I would have to kinda go back into the closet a little bit because I don't want to risk my, like, you know, safety, being arrested or deported. I want to be able to compete and live my dream and become an Olympian. That's always what I've wanted to do. I honestly find it a little bit disrespectful and a little bit sad, not only to me, but to other athletes and, you know, it's my dream and I want to be able to be who I am, be proud of who I am and be proud of all the work that has gotten me to the Olympics and not have to deal with this kind of a law. "
Despite her concerns, Brockhoff says she might wear a rainbow badge at the Games if she makes the Australian team.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home