Main | Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Elton John On His Moscow Concert: I'm Not Going To Tell Putin To Go To Hell

Elton John appeared yesterday on NPR's Fresh Air where the interviewer asked about his coming concert in Moscow.
"I'm aware of the situation and I will be diplomatic. I'm not going to go into Russia and tell [Vladimir Putin] to go to hell and things like that. That's not the way things are done. You chip away at something, and you hope there will be dialogue and that the situation can get better. You don't just go in there with guns blazing and say, 'Well, to hell with you.' Because they're going to say, 'To hell with you, and get out of the country.' That's not going to solve anything. But if I can go there, maybe I can talk to some people in the administration. You can make a statement and you can read it from the stage, but it would be nice, and it would be much more fulfilling to try and meet with people in Moscow and say, 'Listen, this is just, you know, this is silly. It's a reactionary knee-jerk thing. It's harming your reputation in the rest of the world. It's not doing you any good. There has to be some discussion here. What you're doing is outrageous.' [Pauses.] They can tell me to go to hell. I've gotta do it diplomatically, but I'm going to say what I think and what I feel."
Disappointing, to say the least. (Tipped by JMG readers Al and Edward)

Labels: , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home