Main | Sunday, December 01, 2013

NEW YORK CITY: At Least Four Dead In Metro-North Train Derailment In Bronx

A Grand Central-bound Metro-North train filled with returning holiday travelers derailed this morning in the Bronx.  Emergency responders report at least four deaths and dozens of injuries.
The train appeared to be going “a lot faster” than usual as it approached the tricky curve coming into Spuyten Duyvil station, passenger Frank Tatulli told WABC-TV. “It [the train] left them [tracks] because it went too fast,” said Tatulli, who rides this same train every Sunday morning. Neighborhood resident Brendan Conley said he was jarred awake by a loud boom. “I thought I heard what I thought was a building collapsing,” Conley, 22, told The Post. “I came to the window and saw people walking across the tracks. Smoke was coming out of the second car that rolled over. I yelled for my mom to call the fire department. I stood there and saw 40 or 50 people come climbing out of the train on their own.” Tracks involved in Sunday’s crash serve Metro-North’s Hudson line, including station stops in bedroom communities like Peekskill, Croton-Harmon, Ossining, Dobbs Ferry and Yonkers.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home