Main | Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Rob Portman: I Won't Run For President

Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) today announced that he will not run for president in 2016.
Portman, a Republican who was once considered a top contender to be Mitt Romney’s vice presidential nominee in 2012, said in a statement early Tuesday morning that he would not seek the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. Instead, he said, “I have decided to run for re-election in 2016. I am excited about continuing to serve, especially with the change in the Senate leadership.” “With the new Republican majority, I see a real opportunity over the next two years to break the gridlock in Washington and actually get things done to help Ohioans and all Americans. That's where I believe I can play the most constructive role,” he said. “I don't think I can run for president and be an effective senator at the same time.”
Portman's support for same-sex marriage has spawned countless diatribes from anti-gay groups who have universally vowed not only to defeat his bid for the GOP nomination, a cause now made moot,  but to unseat him in the Senate. Just this morning the FRC tweeted out a link to a Citizens For Community Values declaration that Portman is "unacceptable for any public office."

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home