Main | Thursday, January 15, 2015

COLORADO: Wingnut Files Discrimination Complaint Against Pro-Gay Bakery

A Denver bakery has been hit with a discrimination complaint after declining to make a wedding cake that would have featured anti-gay slurs. Here's how the incident went down, via Out Front:
The gentleman took a seat at one of the tables as the team served him free samples and began building his order. He swiped through pics of Bible cakes on the iPad they presented him, and it appeared he’d found the perfect fit. It was only when he produced a leaf of paper from his pocket — careful not to release it to any of the attending employees, but simply brandishing it for them to read before returning it to his pocket — that the order “got a little uncomfortable,” says Lindsay.

“He wanted us to write God hates …” she trails. “Just really radical stuff against gays.” “He wouldn’t allow me to make a copy of the message, but it was really hateful,” Marjorie adds. “I remember the words detestable, disgrace, homosexuality, and sinners.” However uncomfortable the request made the pair, both maintain that he was never refused service. “I told him that I would bake the cake in the shape of a Bible,” says Marjorie. “Then I told him I’d sell him a [decorating] bag with the right tip and the right icing so he could write those things himself.”

She adds that naturally the cake wouldn’t have her handwriting expertise, but she would be devastated to release a cake via the bakery with such a hateful message fashioned by her own hands. Table-side negotiations quickly broke down. “He told me I needed to talk to my attorney about this,” Marjorie says. Then, he left. A few hours later, however, he was back, asking Marjorie if she’d conferred with her lawyer over the matter. She hadn’t. “I was busy,” she says. “I have a business to run here.”
After the man returned for the third time that day and attempted to make a scene, he was asked to leave. The bakery's owner later received a formal complaint from the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. She has 30 days to respond. Hit the link and read the full account.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home