Main | Friday, January 09, 2015

IRELAND: Drag Star/Activist Panti Bliss Wows Crowd With Dublin TEDx Talk

Andy Towle provides some of the transcript:
"Everyday I am jealous of straight people because that tiny intimate expression of affection has never once been mine...I am jealous of that because gay people do not get to hold hands in public without first considering the risk...We look around to see where are we, who’s around, what kind of place is it…are there bunches of lads outside a pub? ... I’m 45 years old and I have never once casually, comfortably, carelessly held hands with a partner in public... I’m 45 and I’m fed up of putting up so I’m not anymore. I’m 45 years old and I’m not putting up anymore because I don’t have the energy anymore. Putting up is exhausting. I’m 45 years old and I’m not putting up anymore because I don’t have the patience anymore. I was born 6 months before the Stonewall riots and you have had 45 years to work out that despite appearances, I am just as ordinary, just as unremarkable, and just as human as you are. I’m 45 years old and I’m not asking anymore. I am just being…human being."
Watch this.

PREVIOUSLY ON JMG: Panti Bliss honored as Ireland 2014 Person Of The Year. Panti Bliss hosts Irish prime minister at local gay bar. Pet Shop Boys remix Panti Bliss speech into new single. Panti Bliss marches in Queens St. Patrick's Day Parade. Panti Bliss' anti-homophobia speech at Dublin's Abbey Theater goes globally viral.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home