Main | Wednesday, July 01, 2015

NYC St. Patrick's Parade Head Ousted Over Opposition To Gay Participation

Irish Central reports:
John Dunleavy is out as chairman of the New York City St. Patrick’s Day parade, sources have told the Irish Voice and IrishCentral. A meeting of the parade officers and board members on Tuesday afternoon resulted in the ouster of Dunleavy, 78, in a move expected after the Irish Voice reported last month that Dunleavy said gay groups would “have a problem” marching in next year’s event. It is not yet known who will replace Dunleavy as chairman. Dunleavy was also offering the TV rights to the march to other local networks, in retaliation at NBC for being part of a compromise that allowed OUT@NBCUniversal to march behind its own banner this year. OUT is the network’s LGBT support group, and their participation marked the first time that a gay group marched up Fifth Avenue under its own banner.
Dunleavy's most likely replacement is current vice-chair John Lahey, who supports adding one more LGBT group for the 2016 parade. The parade lost major sponsors in recent years over the gay issue although Guinness Beer returned for the 2015 parade after the inclusion of the NBC group. Last year we learned that Catholic League blowhard Bill Donohue was campaigning to succeed Dunleavy, but obviously that will not happen now.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus