Main | Wednesday, January 19, 2011

AL GOP Gov. Robert Bentley: If You're Not A Christian, You Need To Convert

Newly-elected GOP Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley made it clear yesterday that non-Christians will have a tough time under his regime.
Bentley made the remarks during a speech at Dexter Street King Memorial Baptist Church, the Montgomery church once led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., saying that non-Christians were “not my brother” and he hoped they would convert to Christianity. During the speech at the church in recognition of the King holiday Monday, Bentley told a packed audience that he is color blind to race, and then talked about his religious beliefs.

“But if you have been adopted in God’s family like I have, and like you have, if you’re a Christian and if you’re saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister,” he said. “Now I will have to say that, if we don’t have the same daddy, we’re not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother.”
The Anti-Defamation League was quick to denounce Bentley's remarks, saying he was "dangerously close" to violating the First Amendment, which forbids government from promoting an official religion.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home