Main | Thursday, September 13, 2007

Kathy Griffin: "Suck it, Jesus!"

As you may have heard by now, Kathy Griffin accepted her Creative Emmy Award a few days ago by saying at the podium, "A lot of people get up here and thank Jesus for helping them win this award, but I have to say nobody has been less helpful in getting me to this moment than Jesus. I don't know what I ever did to him, I just think he doesn't like me that much, and if he had his way, Caesar Milan would be holding this statue right now, but he's not and I am! So I guess all I can really say is, 'Suck it, Jesus! This statue is my God now!'"

On Monday, Catholic League president Bill Donahue called Griffin's remarks "a vulgar in-your-face brand of hate speech" and demanded that E! Television excise her comments from the upcoming broadcast of the show. Cowed, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences said, "Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night." The network says that Griffin's speech will be "abbreviated" for the show. (Unrelated, but you have to wonder what Donahue thinks about the Creative Emmy Best Song winner, SNL's Dick In A Box.)

Even though they fired Kathy Griffin from her red carpet gig some time ago, E! has to now be grateful to her. Cuz, would anybody have even heard of the Creative Emmy Awards had this little kerfuffle not arisen? The real Emmys are on Sunday night, on another network.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home