Main | Thursday, February 07, 2008

Breaking News: Cher Has Gay Fans

"On every list, I was always on my way out. Gay men understand that I understand what it's like to be an outsider. To singers, I wasn't a singer. To actors, I wasn't an actor. I know what it's like to fight for your place. Besides, gay men are very choosy, and they have great taste." - Cher, telling USA Today why she's proud to be a gay icon.

On being 61: "How did this happen? I used to be the youngest one around. I remember talking to my grandmother when she was in her 80s, and I said, 'How does it feel?' She said, 'I only notice it when I go to the mirror.' She was up for anything. So am I. I'd better do what I can do while I can do it."

Watching the pop starlets of today aggressively court the gay male audience, I often wonder if they are truly feeling the love for the gays. Or... have they have merely looked at the short list of female pop stars whose careers successfully span decades and noted that the one thing those artists have in common is rabidly adoring gay male fans?

Labels: ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home