Main | Sunday, August 23, 2009

Daily Grumble

This week New York City did another 24-hour crackdown on using cell phones while driving, issuing over 7000 tickets in one day, more than ten times the daily average, netting the city about $1M in fines. The tickets are $120 each, but $200 for cab drivers. The funny thing about this ticket blitz is that every New Yorker knows that 100% of cabbies are on the phone 100% of the time. Many times I've thought the driver had a question about our destination, only to be curtly told, "I was not speaking to YOU, sir!" I should totally be fluent in Arabic and Hindi, just from all the one-sided conversations I've had to sit through. On the upside, it's been years since I screamed out in terror from their Death Race 2000 driving. That, I've gotten used to. But I'm still not bold enough to tell them to get off the goddamn phone.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home