Main | Wednesday, March 17, 2010

HomoQuotable - Constance McMillen

"When it first started, I just wanted to take my girlfriend to prom, you know? I thought it might make the local news and maybe help future LGBT students at Itawamba because hopefully they wouldn’t have to put up with what I did. I sure didn't expect any of this kind of attention. [snip]

"Anytime I feel like this is too hard, I think about the support I'm getting. And I’m just ecstatic that so many people would come together like this. I never dreamed there could be so much support out there for me. It’s just amazing. I’m so thankful. The locals don’t like me, but I can’t help it. And things were really hostile in school last week after they cancelled prom. People were rude, and if people talked to me at all it was real short answers. There are a few people who are with me, my real friends, people who are intelligent enough to realize what's really going on here. But the majority are not on my side." - Mississippi teen Constance McMillen, speaking with Dan Savage, who has been spearheading a national letter writing campaign to the administrators of McMillen's school board.

Join Constance's Facebook support group, which currently has over 320K members.

Labels: , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home