Main | Monday, April 19, 2010

Bill Clinton: Hillary And I Are Too Old For The Supreme Court

Bill Clinton told ABC News this weekend that both he and Hillary are too old to be considered for appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court.
“Because I'm already 63-years-old, I hope I live to be 90. I hope I'm just as healthy as Justice Stevens is. But it's not predictable. I'd like to see him put someone in there, late 40s, early 50s, on the court and someone with a lot of energy for the job. And I don't think that'd be a good choice,” Clinton said. I asked Clinton about Senator Orrin Hatch’s suggestion that another Clinton, his wife, might be a good choice. The former President said the Secretary of State “would be great at it” and “at one point in her life she might have been interested in it.” But, he added, “she’s like me, you know, we’re kind of doers. We like being out there and doing things, rowing our own boat and making changes we could see happen.” Hillary Clinton turned 62 in October and Mr. Clinton said, if asked, she would also “advise the president to appoint some 10, 15 years younger.”
Clinton added that he hopes President Obama will consider diversity when making his appointment: "My advice to him would be to first of all see what the court is missing. Does it matter if he puts a Catholic or a Jewish person or someone of another faith on a court, there might—there would be no Protestants on the Supreme Court. Does that matter? Does there need to be another woman on the court? Should there be some other group represented?"

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home