Main | Thursday, May 06, 2010

Tweet Of The Day

It's a criticism worth discussing and one that I (probably too glibly) addressed yesterday on Signorile's show. As I noted in a post on Tuesday, I had decided to cloak Geo/Lucien/Jo-Vanni's identity, but once he was revealed on Unzipped, that plan, obviously, became moot.

I've also been criticized for using the words "hooker" and "prostitute," rather than the more PC term, "sex worker." But to be frank, when the Christian right and mainstream media go Googling this story, "sex worker" will not be among their search terms. And we DO want them finding out the truth about Dr. George Rekers.

I suppose the real issue here is whether we consider the risking the prostitution career (and not unrealistically, the safety and potential imprisonment) of a young gay man to be worth bringing down someone who has spent the last 35 years wreaking a path of destruction through the lives of untold thousands of LGBT people, their children, and their families. I have no answer for that.

I do worry for the young man caught in the center of this, however he may have willingly or unwillingly placed himself there. And it should be said that I certainly have no issue with sex work itself. (Insert the cliched [but in this case very true] "some of my best friends..." line here.) Yes, the Rekers scandal is beyond delicious and any blogger's dream. Nevertheless, and while I think we've done the right thing here (so far, at least), my Twitter critic's point is worth keeping in mind as we proceed.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home