Main | Monday, April 09, 2012

Sen. John Kerry Advocates On Behalf Of Married Lesbian Who May Be Deported

The Washington Blade reports that Sen. John Kerry is working to block the deportation of a Pakistani woman who married her wife in Massachusetts.
In a redacted letter dated March 27 and obtained Friday by the Washington Blade, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) asks Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano to hold in abeyance the I-130 marriage-based green card petition for the couple until the Defense of Marriage Act is overturned either by Congress or the courts. “I know that you and I both believe that every family is worthy and recognition and respect, and that no family should be torn apart based on a discriminatory law,” Kerry writes. “Abeyance will allow this remarkable young couple to move forward with their dream of building a life together at home in Massachusetts.”
The American half of the couple notes: "It hurts, as an American, to think that my government causes me and my wife so much distress by allowing DOMA to do so much harm. It is not what I expected of President Obama; I expected more."

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home