Main | Thursday, July 05, 2012

HomoQuotable - Frank Ocean

"4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Every day almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with feeling. No choice. It was my first love. It changed my life." - Hip hop artist Frank Ocean, coming out on his personal blog.

Ocean is part of the collective Odd Future, whose leader Tyler The Creator has been criticized for virulently anti-gay lyrics. Tyler has issued a typically strange statement in support of Ocean's coming out. Hip hop mogul Russell Simmons reacted on his personal blog:
Today is a big day for hip-hop. It is a day that will define who we really are. How compassionate will we be? How loving can we be? How inclusive are we? I am profoundly moved by the courage and honesty of Frank Ocean. Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear. These types of secrets should not matter anymore, but we know they do, and because of that I decided to write this short statement of support for one of the greatest new artists we have. His gifts are undeniable. His talent, enormous. His bravery, incredible. His actions this morning will uplift our consciousness and allow us to become better people. Every single one of us is born with peace and tranquility in our heart. Frank just found his.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home