Main | Friday, October 17, 2014

NORTH CAROLINA: Magistrate Resigns Rather Than Marry Gay Couples

Via the Winston-Salem Journal:
A Rockingham County magistrate submitted his resignation Thursday, saying he couldn’t marry same-sex couples because it violates his religious beliefs. Magistrate John Kallam Jr. sent a letter to Chief District Court Judge Fred Wilkins and said he couldn’t fulfill his oath of office after same-sex marriage became legal in North Carolina. His resignation is effective Oct. 31. “When I took my oath of office, I understood I would be required to perform weddings and have done so throughout my tenure,” Kallam said in an emailed resignation letter. “I did not, however, take that oath with any understanding that I would be required to marry same sex couples. It is my personal belief and a position of my Christian faith that doing so would desecrate a holy institution established by God himself.” Kallam could not be reached for comment Thursday night.
Kallam is not the same asshat that turned away a gay couple earlier this week.

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home