Main | Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ellen Joins American Idol

Ellen DeGeneres will replace Paula Abdul as American Idol's fourth judge on the coming season.
"I’m thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol," said DeGeneres in a press release. "I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.” DeGeneres joins current Idol judges Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi, replacing departing judge Paula Abdul, who reportedly left the show due to contract disputes. Creator and executive producer Simon Fuller said, "I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the American Idol family. Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can’t wait for this next season to begin.”
Several popular talent competitions have featured openly gay judges, but this is a first for the nation's most popular show.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home