Main | Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Harold Ford Pleads His Case

After charges of flip-flopping and carpetbagging rained down on him yesterday, today former Tennessee Rep. Harold Ford (D) took to the op-ed pages of the New York Post to bolster his cause to unseat Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.
I am pro-choice -- have always been since I entered politics almost 15 years ago. My cumulative grade with NARAL during 10 years in Congress was right at 80 percent. Any assertions to the contrary are false. I remain committed to promoting gun safety and handgun control, and I look forward to working with Mayor Bloomberg and Newark Mayor Corey Booker and their coalition to reduce handgun violence in cities across America. Despite what critics say about me, I enjoyed uninterrupted support from organized labor throughout my time in Congress. And from the moment I arrived in Congress, I supported civil unions. Like New York's senior senator, after listening to and participating in the national conversation about full equality and fairness, I support same-sex marriage.
Perhaps heralding his long-rumored return to New York politics, disgraced former Gov. Eliot Spitzer yesterday attacked Gov. David Paterson for appointing Gillibrand and criticized Democratic leadership for discouraging others to run against her.

Labels: , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home