Main | Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gay Evangelical Azariah Southworth Outs Atlantic Columnist Jonathan Merritt

Yesterday I posted a quote from Atlantic columnist and Christian author Jonathan Merritt (above left) in which, referencing the Chick-Fil-A brouhaha, he denounced consumer boycotts driven by social issues. Shortly thereafter I received a Facebook email from gay evangelical Azariah Southworth (who came out in 2008) in which he hinted that he knew something as-yet undisclosed yet very pertinent to Merritt's argument. But I didn't get to Southworth's email before JMG readers tipped me to his just-posted blog entry outing Merritt.
Exposing this truth of Jonathan’s sexual orientation is not an easy decision for me. I take no pleasure in doing this. As I type this my stomach is turning because I know of the backlash he will receive. I have thought about what all of this will mean for him and for me. I base my reasoning in the importance of living an authentic and honest life. True change in the “culture wars” may come through genuine fellowship and conversations but if there is not complete honesty and transparency when we come to the table than we are simply building a foundation which will soon deteriorate. We must have radical honesty in the character, intentions and identities of our leaders. I truly hope for the day when leaders of the LGBT community and leaders from the anti-LGBT community can come to the table with no secrets or agendas but simply to know one another. As Howard Thurman said, “Contact without genuine fellowship breeds hatred.”
Southworth notes that he will not "disclose the nature" of his relationship with Merritt, but that he can substantiate his outing claim if necessary.

RELATED: One of the most-recurring themes in Merritt's writing is a call for civility in the culture wars, including when it comes to the characterization of anti-gay groups as "haters." One reviewer of Merritt's latest book notes that he was "personally recruited by Jerry Falwell" to attend Liberty University. From another review:
The specter of Jerry Falwell drifts in and out of Merritt’s book, a convenient archetype of wrong-headed Christian engagement in the American culture wars. Merritt ends his book, fittingly, with a reflection on Falwell’s death. As he metaphorically pats the dirt on his grave, Merritt encourages his readers to do the same to Falwell’s misguided mission.
Last year Merritt received withering scorn from fellow evangelicals for a Christian Science Monitor piece which he denounced Christian leaders for focusing exclusively on "homosexual sin" and not on other biblically proscribed actions. The Monitor reportedly yanked that column, presumably in response to its reception.

Labels: , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home