Main | Monday, October 29, 2012

Yet Another Faked Homocon "Hate Crime"

Last week the wingnut blogosphere exploded on the claims of a gay Wisconsin GOP campaign worker who claimed that he'd been brutally beaten for being a gay conservative.  From the right wing Daily Caller:
Kyle Wood, a full-time volunteer working for GOP House candidate Chad Lee, was hospitalized for injuries suffered during what he said was an assault at his home.  Wood told The Daily Caller that vandalism preceding the assault, along with his attacker’s statements during the incident, suggested his sexual orientation and his politics each played a role. “I was getting ready for work and there was a knock at the door,” Wood emailed The Daily Caller late Wednesday. “I opened it, and a guy wrapped a ligature around my neck, slammed my head into the doorway, and smashed my face into a mirror, telling me ‘You should have kept your [f*******] mouth shut.’”

“He then kidney-punched me, while at the same time saying I was ‘warned,’ and continued to beat me,” he added. Wood said his attacker’s reference to a warning likely pointed to graffiti he found painted on his car last week. The vandalism included the phrases “house trained republican faggot,” “traitor,” and “ur like a jew 4 hitler.” Those slurs, he explained, were references to him being a gay Republican working to help Lee, a straight GOP candidate, defeat the openly gay Democrat Mark Pocan.  After he discovered the graffiti, Wood wrote an open letter on Facebook to the unknown vandal. “If you understand either freedom or me at all,” he wrote, “you would that this will only make me work harder. … You can think whatever you like about me, but I will not be bullied into voting for a gay man simply because I am gay.”
There were so many holes in Wood's story, not the least of which were the "injuries" that were clearly inconsistent with his claims, that most LGBT news sites, including this one, did not report the story.  My "silence" on the "attack" spurred GOProud president Jimmy LaSalvia to taunt me on Twitter, ultimately telling me to "rot in hell" for my disbelief.
Today came the inevitable truth.
Kyle Wood, a campaign worker for the Republican congressional candidate Chad Lee, today recanted his statements about being assaulted and choked at his home on Oct. 24, according to Madison police. The department updated its incident report late Monday afternoon after Wood met with detectives. Captain Joe Balles, commander of the South District, confirms that Wood recanted his allegations of the beating. Although he would not go into detail about the case, Balles said, "I updated that press release because I felt it was imperative we get something out there because of the politically charged background this was happening in." He said that the department will do its "due diligence" and discuss with the district attorney's office whether any charges will be filed against Wood. "We're in the victims business," he says. "We really need victims to come forward. We don't take matters like this lightly." Earlier Monday afternoon, a spokesman for Rep. Mark Pocan and an attorney representing his partner, Philip Frank, said they were considering suing for libel over claims that Frank threatened Wood. Pocan is running against Lee for the 2nd Congressional District seat being vacated by Tammy Baldwin, who is running for U.S. Senate.
This latest bit of outrageous homocon fakery makes claims of being pushed off a bike or having a brick thrown through a window pale in repulsive comparison.  THIS time, the husband of a U.S. House candidate was smeared. Kyle Wood will surely get what is coming to him. But the worst part of his despicable crime is that now our enemies have yet another reason to suspect all future anti-gay violence.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home