Main | Friday, June 05, 2015

Patrick Stewart Backs Anti-Gay Bakery In Northern Ireland: I Feel Bad For Them

Via the Independent:
Patrick Stewart has weighed into the 'gay cake' debate, saying that he supports the right of the Christian bakers to refuse to ice messages they find offensive. Ashers Bakery lost a court case after refusing to make a cake with the words "support gay marriage" above a picture of Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. Talking on Newsnight, the actor said: "Finally, I found myself on the side of the bakers." Stewart argued that nobody should be forced to write specific text that they disagreed with. "It was not because it was a gay couple that they objected, it was not because they were celebrating some sort of marriage or an agreement between them," said Stewart. "It was the actual words on the cake they objected to. Because they found the words offensive." He continued: "I would support their rights to say no, this is personally offensive to my beliefs, I will not do it."

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home