Main | Thursday, November 04, 2010

Mom Of The Year

In a blogpost titled My Son Is Gay, a mom talks about letting her five year-old boy dress in drag for Halloween. You should read the entire beautiful story for background and context. An excerpt:
So a few weeks before Halloween, Boo decides he wants to be Daphne from Scooby Doo, along with his best friend E. He had dressed as Scooby a couple of years ago. I was hesitant to make the purchase, not because it was a cross gendered situation, but because 5 year olds have a tendency to change their minds. After requesting a couple of more times, I said sure and placed the order. He flipped out when it arrived. It was perfect. Then as we got closer to the actual day, he stared to hem and haw about it. After some discussion it comes out that he is afraid people will laugh at him. I pointed out that some people will because it is a cute and clever costume. He insists their laughter would be of the ‘making fun’ kind. I blow it off. Seriously, who would make fun of a child in costume?
Read the rest to see what happened.

RELATED: Sometimes I'll skip posting a human interest or non-political story if I'm a couple of days late on it and I'm sure you've seen it on the other gay news blogs. This story, however, has generated more "Why haven't you blogged THIS?" emails than probably anything in the history of this here website thingy. As you wish!

Labels: , ,

comments powered by Disqus

<<Home